The cobbled streets, the colonial structures, the monuments, the churches, the beautiful landscapes, and the great stories that were created in each corner made this beautiful municipality located 40 km from Tunja, the capital of the department of Boyacá in Colombia. Declared in 1954 as a National Monument, making it a tourist destination for those who wanted a magical tour to a place where it seems that time stopped many years ago.
History and tradition in the streets of Villa de Leyva
This Boyacense municipality with its picturesque constructions has become the scene of cinematographic, documentary, and T.V series productions, which want to recreate the colonial era and its customs as a mouthpiece for travelers who wish to enjoy new spaces and extraordinary adventures.
What to do in Villa de Leyva?
- Walk the cobbled streets on foot and discover colonial buildings, museums, and churches full of history and tradition that reveal the way of life of Boyacense society, protected by a beautiful architecture that offers visitors scaled walls, lavish gates and windows perfectly preserved
- Escape the routine and look for spaces full of nature and wine, in one of the largest vineyards in Colombia, a few kilometers from the urban case of Villa de Leyva, where visitors can learn all about the process, production and aging of wine; visit the vineyards; tour the cellars and enjoy a good glass of wine.
- Live the adventure of touring the Candelaria desert, a few steps from Villa de Leyva, you can enjoy an experience in a 4×4 that adrenaline lovers can not miss. At the same time, this route allows you to enjoy nature and beautiful places.
- Delight in dazzling scenarios such as the Blue Lakes, whose turquoise waters are framed with pine trees and beautiful vegetation, or enjoy the Terracotta House, whose construction made entirely of clay has won great recognition for its architecture.
- Enjoy the varied gastronomic offer for all tastes, including exquisite traditional dishes such as baked lamb, shredded overcoat, mashed potatoes with Paipa cheese, and innovative options such as Thai prawns or quinoa crepes, which seek to please most demanding palates.
- Enjoy adventure sports such as rappelling and torrential, while unleashing an intense connection with nature that intoxicates the senses to discover the fauna and flora of the region amidst caves, mountains, rocks, and waterfalls.
Villa de Leyva evokes the past and carries stories in every corner, but also combines a wide range of activities that attract visitors from around the world. That is why this destination must be taken into account in your next trip to Colombia!
Like to create or customize a fantastico package tour of Colombia? Then contact us through the Get a Quote Page for Free Tour Videos, a Free Itinerary Creation, and an Obligation Free Quote!