7 Travel Tips to Help You Enjoy Your Colombian Adventure
*Start planning your dream Colombian vacation on our Plan My Trip page now!
We have many tips and tricks to help you enjoy your stay here in Colombia that we’ll be sharing with you during your booking process. But here are our Top 7 Travel Tips for Tourists IN Colombia:
- On arrival to Colombia, you should first buy a local sim card for your cell phone, with internet data. With this, you will be able to communicate for free with all your family and friends around the world when you have WIFI, and very cheaply when away from your hotel. As well as contacting people back home, you’ll also be in constant contact with our team through WhatsApp (a free application that provides you with free messaging and calling).
- If you wish to explore by yourself and visit a place without a guide, we recommend using an application such as Uber or Tappsi on your cell phone. Those apps offer security for you, as there is a record of where you went, at what time, and with which driver. Also, always lock the doors of your taxi, as a precaution. *We work with and recommend booking flights with www.kiwi.com
- Altitude Sickness: Until you’ve been at a high altitude there is no real way to know how your body will react to the height. One of the reasons we never provide tours on an arrival day into Bogotá is due to the altitude. Most people are able to adapt pretty quickly, and the best thing to do after you arrive is to minimize any possible symptoms:
- Bed rest – I know it’s not what you want to hear, especially when you’re on vacation, but it works. An extra ½ day to acclimatize can do wonders.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine – It’s best not to drink on the plane beforehand also.
- Use an anti-inflammatory tablet to treat mild symptoms.
- Coca Tea – Available in many supermarkets in tea bags.
- Only carry the money you will need for the day. You can always take a debit or credit card with you for any larger purchases.
- Please never speak on your cell phone when you walk on the streets. If you need to talk to someone or check a map, stop at a café for a coffee, or walk into a building or shopping center.
- Like all countries in the world, we recommend for your safety, never walk on dark or lonely streets.
- The most important recommendation we have for you is Don’t be a hero! If you are very unlucky and find yourself in a situation with a robber asking for money, please give them whatever they ask. You can always replace things, but not your life!
Like to create or customize a fantastico package tour of Colombia? Use our Plan My Trip page to start planning your dream Colombian vacation now!