Utría National Natural Park
Utría National Natural Park is a hidden treasure on the Pacific coast of Colombia. It is a lush, mountainous rainforest with some of the highest rainfall in the world, at up to 10,000 mils/390” annually. The park also protects the coastal marine environment and is famous for visits by humpback whales, who give birth in the lagoon after which the park is named, and sea turtles who nest on the beaches.
We work with and recommend booking flights with www.kiwi.com
Location and Accessibility
Utría National Natural Park is located in the Chocó Department of Colombia. The park is accessible by boat from the towns of Nuquí and Bahía Solano. There are also a few airstrips in the area, but they are only accessible during the dry season. BnB Colombia Tours can curate amazing excursions for you.
Begin organizing your dream Colombian getaway right away by using our Plan My Trip page!
Climate and Topography
The climate of the Utría National Park is tropical, with average temperatures ranging from 25 – 30c/77 – 86f. The park receives a lot of rainfall, with an average of 5,000 mls/200” per year.
Utría National Natural Park is located on a series of peninsulas and islands that jut out into the Pacific Ocean. The park is home to four different ecosystems:
- The rainforest is the most dominant ecosystem in the park. It is home to a wide variety of plants and animals, including over 500 species of birds.
- The mangroves are found along the coastline of the park. They provide a vital habitat for many marine animals, such as fish and crustaceans.
- Fabulous coral reefs are found in the waters off the coast of the park. They provide a habitat to a wide variety of marine life, such as fish, coral, and sea turtles.
- The estuaries are found where the rivers meet the ocean. They are home to an extraordinary variety of birds and fish.
Attractions for Tourists
There are many things to see and do in Utría National Natural Park. Some of the most popular attractions include:
- Whale watching: Humpback whales are a major draw to Utría National Natural Park. The whales come to the park between June and November to give birth and raise their young.
- Birdwatching: Utría National Natural Park has over 500 species of birds as residents. Some of the most commonly visible birds to see in the park include macaws, parrots, toucans and hummingbirds.
- Hiking: There are many hiking trails in the park. The trails range from easy to challenging and offer stunning views of the rainforest, mangroves and ocean.
- Kayaking: this is a great way to explore the mangroves and estuaries of Utría National Natural Park. You can also kayak to the islands for an incredible experience.
- Snorkelling and diving: The coral reefs off the coast of the park sustain a wide and diverse variety of marine life. Snorkelling and diving are great ways to see the fish, coral and other marine animals.
Take the first step in planning your dream Colombian vacation by using our Plan My Trip page now!
The Emberá people have lived in the area around Utría National Natural Park for centuries. They have a rich culture and history and they are still closely connected to the land. The Emberá people are known for their traditional way of life, which includes hunting, fishing and farming.
They are also skilled artisans and make beautiful handicrafts from wood, clay and beads.
Start creating your dream Colombian adventure by using our Plan My Trip page now!
Why Tourists Should Visit
The Utría National Park is an admired tourist destination for a number of reasons. The mangroves are a unique and impressive sight and the park supports a diverse variety of other flora and fauna. The remote location of the park and the rugged terrain make it a challenge to visit, but this also contributes to its appeal.
Highlights of Utría National Park
Utría National Park in Colombia stands as a remarkable testament to the country’s natural beauty, indigenous heritage and commitment to conservation. Its rich history, diverse climate, captivating landscapes and range of attractions make it a popular destination for travellers seeking a unique and immersive experience.
Whether hiking through lush rainforests, snorkelling in vibrant coral reefs or connecting with indigenous communities, visitors to Utría National Park are sure to leave with lasting memories and a deeper appreciation for Colombia’s ecological and cultural treasures.
Like to create or customize a fantastico package tour of Colombia? Use our Plan My Trip page to start planning your dream Colombian vacation now!